Galvalume vs. Stelcolour 4-Mil Barrier Series

Jake K
11/14/2011
Just wondering if there was a difference between a Galvalume product and a Stelcolour 4-Mil Barrier Series product? Just trying to learn more about the various options available and the best choice for my house. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
11/15/2011
Galvalume is a type of steel coated with a largely aluminum alloy for corrosion resistance. Galvalume roofing is typically available either painted (colored) or with a clear coat. Stelcolour 4-mil is a plastisol or PVC coating that is applied over galvanized steel. Galvanized is steel coated with a primarily zinc alloy for corrosion resistance. Plastisol or PVC is not recognized as the best coating available for metal roofing.
Jake K
11/15/2011
Thanks Todd. Does the Stelcolour product have any track record? I noticed that it comes from a very large and prominent steel manufacturer.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
11/15/2011
Plastisol coatings have been used on metal roofing in Canada and have some proven track record. Their chief downfall is fade and for that reason they are not used as roofing at least not to any significant extent in the united states.
Brice Batts
12/7/2011
I am new to the forum so please forgive me for jumping right in. Born and raised in North Florida 47 years old and I have learned to diy a lot of things that normally would require a "pro". Thanks for letting me join in. Aluminum coating and Steel?? I guess they must have a solution for the fact that those two metals are not compatible in general. That is not what I am here for anyway. I am probably going to re roof my own 2,000 sq ft home (one story) low pitch 2 in 12 ranch style. If I ask a question too quick without looking for the answer first feel free to slap me.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
12/7/2011
Feel free to ask away. At that low pitch, you will need a mechanically seamed standing seam. Both galvanized and galvalume include a metallic coating with aluminum for corrosion resistance. The dissimilar metal situation is avoided because of the way in which the alloy is applied. It does not allow a catalyst to enter and initiate corrosion.
Dick Bus
4/23/2012
Doug, I agree with your statement about expansion and contraction. A metal roof system needs to take that into considertion. All metal needs to be properly pretreated for the primer and color coat to properly adhere. The expansion and contraction between the paint system and metal is a non issue. Plastisols have been used succesfully in Canada for many years, but the closer one gets to the tropics the stronger the ulta-violet rays are. The stronger the UV rays the greater chance of paint degradation. Plastisols do not resist fade and caulk. If you would like more technical information I can put in touch with some of the paint suppliers.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.