Solar Panel Install - Metal Roof

Ed Williams
11/9/2011
I'm building a home on Maui that has (or will have in a few weeks) a metal panel roof ( not standing seam). Under it is a layer of w.p membrane over 1/2" plywood over 2" of rigid foam insulation over 2x6 T&G sheathing over exposed rafters. Right now , all but the metal roof itself is installed. I'm planning on mounting an array of solar panels on this 6:12 roof. The mountings are a set of rails to which the panels attach. The rails are mounted on posts firmly attached to the roof. I'm not clear on how to attach the posts in a leakproof fashion to the underlying roof structure. Any advice on what system to use and how it should be installed/flashed? Ed
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
11/9/2011
Have you looked at the S5! fastening clips?
Ed Williams
11/10/2011
I think the S5! fastening clips are designed for standing seam roofs, not for an exposed fastener metal roof like mine. However, they do have a "Versabracket" that might work.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.