Patty Curatola
9/12/2011
We are replacing our roof this year and are interested in a metal roof. We want the metal roof to look like shingles so it does not stand out as a metal roof in our community. I have read the section here on metal materials but I don't see the information I am interested in or it's there and I just can't seem to see it. In any event, we live in Eastern Pennsylvania so our weather will vary from season to season and year to year so excessive snow and rain along with heat play into the type of metal materials. Before I contact a contractor(s) I'd like to know what material would be suitable in our location with regards to the weather issue. Aluminum seems to be for salty areas and there's the steel with metalic coatings either galvanized or zinc and obviously we'd want a color but how do you select for a specific location. I know you can ask a contractor but do you just accept what is said or talk to several hoping you'll know the right answer when you hear it?
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
9/12/2011
Thanks Patty. Great questions. Aluminum and steel are both going to work well in your area. I do sometimes suggest aluminum for coastal areas but really in your area, either will make a fine roof. Honestly, if I were you, I'd look for the product that you think will look the best on your home ... and then I would choose the contractor carefully ... be sure to look at jobs they have done and talk to past customers -- both recent and older customers. Feel free though to post back here with any additional questions that may come up. Thanks for thinking of metal!
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
9/12/2011
Both will serve you fine. The panel systems that we install are a galvalume steel and are just fine in non-coastal (and suitable for coastal for that matter) applications. What part of PA are you located in?

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.