Guest User
9/7/2011
Looking for the best available product. I have addded a 2:12 slope shed roof to the rear of an existing 8:12 cottage bunkie roof. The transition is mid way up the back roof. Can you reccomend a metal product that will work well for both ??? Thanks in advance. Reg
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
9/8/2011
Many of the vertical seam products, both through fastened and standing seam, can be used at that low pitch. You may want to look for something with sealant in the seams / overlaps.
Barry Goewey
1/31/2012
Hi...I'm an architect in Mt. kisco, N.Y. and I have a client who is entertaining going to a metal roof product. We are adding to the existing house a kitchen extension and the pitch of the roof is +/- 3:12 w/ Velux skylights...I believe my client would like a shingle looking metal roof, does this work for a low pitch application or should we use a vertical panel raised seam application
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
1/31/2012
Barry, this is a great question. Most of the metal shingles require a minimum 3:12 roof pitch. A few products require 4:12. I would never use them even slightly below the minimum required pitch. Some manufacturers will have standing seam products available in matching colors which can be used on lower pitches. Thanks for planning to use metal. You may want to someday consider attending the MetalCon trade show if you don't already. It will be in Chicago in October this year.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
2/1/2012
+1 Even if the slope requirement is 4:12, you could put ice/water under the entire roof and comfortably put the steel down on a 3:12
Darby Kyle
oklahoma roofing, roofing oklahoma, roofing contractor, roofers, roofing, top view roofing
2/1/2012
Thanks Todd for the info regarding MetalCon Trade show.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.