install over tar and gravel

wm weir
8/28/2011
Is it possible to install metal roofing over tar an gravel roof. I have a 4/12 pitch roof with attic existing roof is applied over 1" roof boards with 24" 2x4 trusses. I really dont want to tear off if possible any suggestions?
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
8/28/2011
Many metal roofs I believe could be installed over this. Is there any particular "look" you'd like to achieve with your new metal roof?
Guest User
8/28/2011
Im considering standing seam. Un less yiu can reconmend somthing else
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
8/28/2011
I suggest underlayment over the old shingles. If the shingles are badly curled they should be removed to keep the unevenness from telescoping through true standing seam. Panels that have more corrugation to them will be more forgiving of going over uneven old shingles without showing it. Product choice comes down a lot to aesthetics. This website is a great place to explore those options.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
8/28/2011
I'm sorry ... when I gave my second response I forgot about this being tar and gravel. I would suggest sweeping the roof well and putting down a thin recovery board and then underlayment and the new metal roof.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
8/29/2011
Yes, with proper prep. Be mindful of the fact that any inconsistencies in the the roof deck will translate through the metal panel over time.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.