skylight flashing

mike demeulles
8/24/2011
Hi, I'm installing a standing seam roof on a A-frame with 21-12 pitch (60 degree) The roofing company supplied all flashing but I'm a little confused on the top backpan flashing for the curb mounted skylights and how this mates with the side flashing, it seems like there is no way to overlap the two, do I have to rely on sealant? A picture would be the best but any info or advice would be appreciated, thanks, Mike
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
8/24/2011
Usually the side flashings should extend up under the back flashing and if possible the back flashing should extend down the sides of the skylights a bit, but on top of the side flashings. Does that help at all or am I missing the point?
Guest User
8/24/2011
Thanks for replying, yeah that's how I thought it should go but the backpan is just a right angle and the side flashings have an additional right angle that goes down about an inch on the outside edge so there is no way the side flashing could be lower than the backpan. Mike
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
8/24/2011
Oh wow. I hate top say it but I'd go back to the guys who supplied that and ask them how you're supposed to make it work.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
8/25/2011
Make sure it is right. You are dealing with what is the most probable water entry point. Whoever your roofer is should be able to bend up some of his/her own flashing.
Dick Bus
8/25/2011
Mike, it is very important to properly flash the skylights. This link will take you to our suggested flashing details for square penetrations on a vertical seamed metal roof. http://www.atas.com/Portals/0/Products/Roofs/StandingSeam/InstallGuides/SquarePenetrations%202.pdf. Your metal roof supplier should also be able to provide detailed instructions. Thanks for contacting the Metal Roof Alliance. Let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.
mike demeulles
8/25/2011
Thanks very much for the info and the link. I was to be the roofer until I broke my arm falling from the roof. The guy I hired a guy to finish the roof explained that the backpan gets bent at a 45 degree angle on the outside of the curb edges and that sits above the side flashing which gets tucked under that little overhanging angle bit, It's hard to explain but it makes sense when looked at, it then gets cauked as a precaution, I hope he's right! It's a new house so there won't be any insulation or drywall for a few months so I'll be able to keep a close lookout for any leaks. Thanks again Mike
David Mongeon
10/4/2012
Your link doesn't work anymore (http://www.atas.com/Portals/0/Products/Roofs/StandingSeam/InstallGuides/SquarePenetrations%202.pdf). Is there a new link?

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.