cody hustead
8/10/2011
I am getting conflicting information about what to use to replace my existing 50 year old corrugated steel roof. I see that many folks use 29 gauge with good results. Other folks say "Do not ever use 29 gauge for a roof". I don't get much snow or wind. I have an open frame roof, but my spans are a couple inches max. I have yet to be convinced that 29 gauge is just to thin for my application. Am I just being stubborn?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
8/10/2011
There are planty of good 29 gauge roofs in service protecting structures across the country in all climates. I would perhaps be more concerned about proper installation.
Guest User
8/18/2012
So what gauge should a buyer be looking for? Looking to replace 20 year old cedar shake roof. Want to replace with standing seam metal roof. 12:12 roof pitch 11 skylights that open 5 dormers Coppola, to work around. Located in Fredericksburg Virginia House on high hill that is vulnerable to winds from north and west

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.