Are all manufacturers the same?

Jay Buckner
7/20/2011
My goodness... what a daunting task to be an informed customer having a metal roof installed. So, I've contacted some of the BBB recommended roofers in my area and I've gotten some quotes. My question is: how do I get past the sales pitch for their great product and truly know that what I'm purchasing will stand the test of time. It's easy enough to figure out which roofers are trusted professionals, but how do I determine which product is right? Are all manufacturers basically the same or do a few stand above the rest? How would you approach this? Start with a great brand and find a roofer who will install it, or find the best roofer and go with their recommendation? HELP?!?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
7/20/2011
Thanks for your post. It is difficult. I fully understand. One thing you may want to do is see if the company's products are listed as part of the Metal Construction Association Certified Metal Roofing Panel program. That said, in choosing a metal roof, I'd weigh heavier on the installer than the product. A bad installer will make the best product stink. A great product will never make a bad installer shine. Many of the manufacturers use similar quality raw materials. I think customer service is a big thing to consider. Call the manufacturers and ask them some questions. Ask them how they handle warranty claims or how they handle roofs that get mis-installed. That may yield some helpful information. But, again, I'd put more emphasis on the installer than the product. All Best.
Jay Buckner
7/20/2011
Terrific, Todd. Thanks for your advise.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
8/19/2011
+1 Great product with sub-standard installation = bad product results.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.