overhang on gambrel roof hip

jim smith
7/18/2011
My home addition has a gambrel roof. The side of the roof is a 24/12 pitch, the top part is 6/12. So the water will run from the 6/12 onto the 24/12 before going into the gutter. I have a 3"x3" transition flashing for the hip. My concern is that my metal panels for the top section (6/12) only overlap the 24/12 side by about 1". Will this be sufficient? If I didn't explain it well, please look at the attached drawing. Thanks for any advice.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
7/18/2011
If there is a transition flashing, that should be okay. If there is no transition flashing, I would suggest having a transition flashing. All Best.
jim smith
7/18/2011
Thanks for easing my mind. I do have the transition and will use them, i just wanted to make sure the overhang was sufficient. I was kicking myself thinking I'd have to buy 14 more panels just because I needed them one inch longer!
jim smith
7/18/2011
I have one more question which applies to this. Will it be safe for the ridgecap to cover only an inch, inch and half of the metal panel? I am using the ventilated ridgecap.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
7/18/2011
That is minimal on the ridge but if it is a well designed part it is feasible. Would be nice to see it bigger though.
jim smith
7/18/2011
That's what I'm afraid off. I didn't provide the proper measurement and got my sheets too short. I'll just bite the bullet and reorder that section. Looks like I got some extra metal for a shed or something.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.