Tin over shingles without strapping roof

Guest User
7/16/2011
I was going to install metal over shingle with out strapping because I installed a addition and that doof is attached to the other roof and if I strap this roof then in the valleys where the roofs meet there will be a gap and I am concerned that in the winter that ice will back up and get under the tin.Thanks
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
7/16/2011
This is acceptable with most products and in many cases. Always confirm that it is okay with the manufacturer of the product you choose. Also, I always suggest a layer of underlayment between the two materials.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
7/16/2011
Underlayment is a must and very cheap investment to provide the proper slip layer and further water barrier.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.