Rusted Corrugated Metal Roofing

Jim Posever
none
7/3/2011
On a recent vacation in Colorado, I saw a number of corrugated metal roofs that appeared to be rusted. I like to look and am interested in using it on a home in Tucson, AZ. What can you tell about these roofs? Is this a special paint coating, are they a laminate with exposed steel or are these roofs made of bare steel? What is the lifespan of such a roof, and how does it compare in terms of energy efficiency?
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
7/3/2011
I will open this up to see if anyone else has input. US Steel produces a product called Corten which rusts but they do not recommend it for roofing applications. There are many finishes available which will provide a similar look but yet the metal is not rusting (deteriorating). Also, the finishes can get you extra energy efficiency and will not have run-off that streaks and stains the way that rust does.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
7/4/2011
Where was the rust originating? It is not uncommon to see rust develop around the fasteners and especially when the fasteners are not coated or the gaskets have broken down. All the metal that is intended for roofing applications is designed not to rust whether that is via a specific coating (galvanization, galvalume, etc) or paint. If you are looking in AZ, I would definitely look into one of the roofing systems that used a photo reflective coating as Todd mentioned.
Donnie Seagraves
8/22/2011
I am shipping new metal roofing panels and after several days packaged and stored correctly red rust shows on each end of the precut panels. What direction should I be looking to find out why I am getting red rust not white on a galvalume product. Either the coil or in the shearing process would be logical but I have never seen this happen so quickly. Both jobs have been painted with a Valspar coating. Just looking for a reason or a starting point to determine why.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
8/24/2011
Donnie, I would contact the company that cut the material.
Guest User
8/16/2012
I am on our homeowner's Architectural Review Committee and we are in the process of developing maintenance standards for homeowner properties. We are beginning to approve metal roofs for the residences and need to know what types of deterioration we can expect to see on metal roofs. Will there be rust? Corrosion? Other?
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
8/16/2012
Suzanne, there are ways to specify roofs that should have zero maintenance nor those problems for 25+ years unless you live in a real corrosive environment. One thing you could specify, on top of the "look" you'd like would be to specify products that meet the Metal Construction Association "Premium" Certified Metal Roofing requirements. I will offer to everyone out there ... I am happy to talk through these things or help in any way possible. My number is 1-800-543-8938 ext 201 and I can be emailed at [email protected]

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.