Metal roofing on modular home

d lewis
6/10/2011
My dad passed away early this year. He had planned on reproofing the house this spring. That job has now fallen to me to figure out and I have no idea about anything really, I have been giving myself an online crash course in metal roofing and underlayments. We want to put metal over the existing one layer of shingles. There are a few questionable areas where, due to recent heavy rains this season, there has been some leaking. The place is basically a double-wide, there is no attic, but I believe there is some space over the front door area, because there is a gable there, otherwise there is minimal/standard space between the interior ceiling and the roof. I have spoken to local contractors in the area and they all have different approaches to the underlayments. Some say they just put the metal right on the existing roof, one said he uses bubble wrap, another said felt. I am thinking that maybe a breathable is ideal because the house is heated with propane in the winter and it gets very very hot inside the house, but if we don't take the old shingles off is it worth the extra money. If not, I am still leaning toward a synthetic, but there are so many out there, what should I be looking for? The local contractors are happy to make me happy, but they don't seem to give me any options other than that they will do what I say. Kneed someone who knows about this to walk me through some possibilities,if you can give me any help or advise I would be grateful, I feel completely unprepared and i want to make sure to get it right so my mom doesn't have to worry about it anymore.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
6/11/2011
Really, the best advice I can give is to work with the manufacturer of the roofing and make sure that the installation is done per their specifications. I eprsonally would suggest levaing the old shingles and installing underlayment over them and the, based upon the exact product you are installing, decided whether or not to use battens.
Guest User
7/13/2015
I have a 2200 sq.ft.modular home with shingles on it. I would like to put a metal roof on our home. Different people have told me I may be sorry due to the heat the metal will draw. Is this true and what would be my options?
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
7/13/2015
Jay, generally speaking metal roofs usually can make the home cooler. Many metal roofs have reflective coatings and are Energy Star listed. Also, ventilation can be very helpful and some metal roofs, ether through the way they are installed or the way they are fabricated, can also create ventilation or at least a thermal break on top of the roof.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.