chris allen
11/28/2010
Hello, I am currently in the process of building a small covered porch (12' x 12'). I am currently in the process of building trusses to support a tin roof. Once I have the trusses installed, should I cover the entire roof surface with treated plywood or should I simply run 1x2's or 1x4's with gaps between the planks for attaching the tin roofing? I have heard that covering with plywood in some circumstances can lead to excess moisture, rotting, and rust of the tin roof. This is my first time taking on a project like this. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chris
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
11/28/2010
You can certainly cover it in the purlins and attach the roof that way. Give the relatively small size of the roof, I would think that covering it in plywood would make it easier to install the roof and work on. Standard Plywood should be fine.
Guest User
11/28/2010
Thanks for the reply. I agree that it would be easier with the plywood. I was thinking the treated plywood would be better for me, as I live in south Louisiana where moisture and heat are a way of life. I have used treated lumber for the rest of the deck to this point. Do you think standard plywood is ok in my area?
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
11/28/2010
Plywood should be fine as the deck should not be getting wet regardless. Nothing about heat dictates that you used treated lumber and there are concerns about a galvanic reaction between the treated lumber and certain metals.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.