Side lap seams in metal shingles

Guest User
9/28/2010
I had a Allmet Granite ridge roof installed by DLD distributors of Courtland Ontario. The Allmet installation instructions call for a "tightly Closed" slide lap seam. The seams have a gaps upto a 1/4". They maintain this is acceptable. I do not think so. What are my options now?
Nate Libbey
9/28/2010
The best reccomendation I could give would be to contact the manufacturer and ask them. Some systems are designed with nearly invisible seams, while others are perfectly fine with a less neat looking seam. The main question is whether it is a cosmetic issue or a functional anti-leak issue. http://www.allmet.com/locations.shtml Toll: 1-800-265-9357 Fax: 1-519-688-2201 [email protected]
Guest User
9/29/2010
Should read side lap. Have Contacted Allmet and they said a 1/4" gap meets their spec. for a thightly closed seam. What are me options now?
Nate Libbey
9/29/2010
From a legal standpoint, you have no way to get the installer to change the installation, as it was installed to the manufacturer's specifications. From a functional standpoint, it sounds like Allmet is standing behind the installation, so you shouldn't have problems with it leaking or the wind causing damage. From a cosmetic standpoint, you could take short metal-to-metal stitch screws that would pull the lapped panels together. This would reduce or eliminate the gap, but at the same time, you are putting exposed screws in a hidden fastened shingle. If it was my roof, I would leave it as it is, resting assured that the manufacturer stands behind the work that was done. You might ask the installer and Allmet to provide a written statement saying that it shouldn't be problematic in case problems arise in the future.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
9/29/2010
I like Nate's suggestion to have Allmet document this in a letter.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.