cutting metal, venting, and insulation

Guest User
7/24/2003
Admittedly I've jumped into "metalizing" my new barn too quickly. I trusted my home supplier for the quantity of materials needed for the roof and siding - that appears to be OK. Trying to do the work myself has proven frustrating and I've now hired someone to do the roof. This is a new pole barn with purlins 24" o.c. which is open from the floor through the trusses to the roof for 75% of the length. But, I intend to put a ceiling in my shop area (the other 25% of the barn.) My questions are: 1.) I have 1/4" fan-fold owens corning insulation for the roof. Can I place the metal directly on top of that? 2.) I originally intended to put gable vents in. Should I (also) do a ridge vent? 3.) What is the best way to cut the metal? I have a significant length to cut because of a translucent "window" intended for just below the soffit. Cutting with tin snips will be difficult and lengthy. I love doing these kind of projects myself and learn a great deal in the process. It seems, however, that metal installation has many particular "tricks" which my contractor friends and I haven't experienced. Thank you for your help!
Guest User
7/24/2003
Admittedly I've jumped into "metalizing" my new barn too quickly. I trusted my home supplier for the quantity of materials needed for the roof and siding - that appears to be OK. Trying to do the work myself has proven frustrating and I've now hired someone to do the roof. This is a new pole barn with purlins 24" o.c. which is open from the floor through the trusses to the roof for 75% of the length. But, I intend to put a ceiling in my shop area (the other 25% of the barn.) My questions are: 1.) I have 1/4" fan-fold owens corning insulation for the roof. Can I place the metal directly on top of that? 2.) I originally intended to put gable vents in. Should I (also) do a ridge vent? 3.) What is the best way to cut the metal? I have a significant length to cut because of a translucent "window" intended for just below the soffit. Cutting with tin snips will be difficult and lengthy. I love doing these kind of projects myself and learn a great deal in the process. It seems, however, that metal installation has many particular "tricks" which my contractor friends and I haven't experienced. Thank you for your help!
Guest User
7/24/2003
I HAD A NEW METAL ROOF INSTALLED 2 YRS AGO. INSTEAD OF THE ROOFER COMPLYING WITH THE MFG INSTALLATION MANUAL, HE DECIDED TO PLACE A PAN AROUND VENT PIPES VS INSTALLALTION OF BOOTS. HE STATED THAT BOOTS WERE MORE TROUBLE THAN THEY WERE WORTH. HE USED SOME CAULK BUT I HAVE LEAKS AROUND ALL MY VENT PIPES IN THE ATTIC. HE INSISTS ON PUTTING MORE CAULK. WHAT IS THE BEST SOLUTION TO CORRECT MY LEAKING PROBLEM?
Guest User
7/25/2003
If done properly, there are ways to "wrap" pipes using matching metal and making a custom flashing which is not dependent on sealants. Ultimately, this can last longer than neoprene "boot" type flashings. However, it sounds like your contractor, unfortunately, just cut metal around the pipe and sealed it. I would say that a change must be made. Any chance of contacting the manufacturer of the roofing and having them work with the roofer to arrive at a suitable remedy?
Guest User
7/25/2003
For that volume of cutting, I'd suggest either a guillotine cutter or using power nibblers or power shears. A very proven methof o ventilation is to use soffit vents as intake and ridge vent as exhaust. I do not know how "closed" you intend for the barn to be. If it is to be fairly open, gable vents, particularly with a power fan in one end, might be adequate. If the barn is to be "closed," though, soffit and ridge venting would work best. With good ventilation, the fanfold will likely be okay. With poor ventilation, though, it could trap condensed moisture against the back of the roofing, causing eventual corrosion. My big question would be, realistically, whether anything can really be gained by the use of the fanfold.
Guest User
7/28/2003
Hi, I don't have a metal roof but am looking to find company and distributor of a product. It is an aluminium or galvanized ridge venting which comes in 8 foot lengths. It runs along the full length of the ridge. Low profile, about 2-3 inches V-shaped to fit the ridge. I live in Southern Cailifornia and heve called a few companies in the area. So far only can find the plastic version which will not hold up in the Desert here.
Guest User
7/28/2003
Two manufacturers I am familiar with: Airvent and Lomanco. I am sure they have websites you can find easily.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.