Guest User
7/13/2010
18 months ago I had a metal roof installed over 2 layers of asphalt shingles on a 4:12 slope roof on a basic 25' wide house. When I bought the roof one of the selling points was that I did not have to remove shingles. However, I asked considerable questions about the weight and was assured it would not be a problem and also, because it was not structural, I would not need a permit. Now I am adding an addition and it is obvious that my roof has experienced considerable deflection. The roofing company - they are very reputable and only do metal roofing - says they've never heard of anything like this happening even though I sent them the report from the engineer I hired. His report said that the elimination of the excess weight and reinstall of the metal roof is the solution. Now they do not even answer my calls/letters. Obviously I have to deal with this issue legally, but I need to finish my house so I can return to occupancy. The current metal roof is exclusive to this company. If I can get their old roof removed, all the asphalt removed and reinstall their roof, will I be able to use a different metal roof for the addition? I doubt I can match the color, as that is a patented system they say, but will it compromise the integrity of the roof? If there is any additional argument I can use with the current company (I like my roof, it is the installation that has caused the problem) I would rather use all one system, but I am at my wits end and have to do something. Thank you!
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
7/14/2010
I am sure their roofing panels or coil stock is manufacturer by someone else. You need to figure out who the manufacturer is and go from there.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
8/1/2010
Generally speaking a metal roof adds less weight than the roof had when the last layer of shingles was installed before it lost granules and oils evaporated. Metal is a very low weight material. Unless the structure is very poorly constructed, a metal roof will not cause movement of the structure.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.