Ralph Crawford
7/5/2010
I am interested in having a vertical metal roof installed. Would someone be able to give a ballpark estimate on the seal life of the exposed screw sealing life when installed correctly! Thanks
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
9/22/2010
I really would suggest using this website to find an experienced contractor in your area to provide you with a cost estimate.
Nate Libbey
9/23/2010
Ralph, The quality of exposed screws varies somewhat. The best ones are either galvanized or stainless steel, with a metal cap that covers an epdm rubber seal. The metal umbrella cap covers and protects the rubber seal from the UV rays of the sun, preventing it from cracking and losing it's seal. Many of the stainless steel screws of this type carry a lifetime warranty, but cost somewhat more than galvanized. The galvanized type rarely carry a warranty. In my opinion, if they are of good quality, and are properly installed, they should last at least 30-40 years. That being said, it is a very good idea to inspect them after about 20-25 years. At this time, you may have to replace a few, or tighten some back down, or do absolutely nothing. Obviously if you don't ever want to worry about your screws, you could go with a concealed fastener system such as standing seam or some types of metal shingles.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
9/23/2010
+1 Why not go concealed fastener as Nate stated. Better looking and you avoid the issue altogether.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.