Guest User
6/8/2010
We have rec'd 2 estimates on installing a metal roof (ranch style home 4/12 pitch). The 1st guy told us we should "only" go with a 26 gauge (using McElroy Metal) and he'd install over existing 1 layer of asphalt shingles. The 2nd guy said 29 gauge (using Menard's metal)is very sturdy and he would rather do a tear off down to the decking to be sure the decking was in good shape. We have no idea now what we should do??? Please help. Thank you.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
6/9/2010
I would not install over top of those shingles. You might as well pull them off.
Guest User
6/11/2010
I would agree and remove the shingle roof. However, I would prefer at least a 26 gauge system over a 29 gauge. In the midwest we have some heavy winds and 29 gauge is not much better than Reynolds Wrap. McElroy Metal Inc. is a national manufature (www.mcelroymetal.com). I'm not sure on what manufacture Menards is carring.
Guest User
6/11/2010
Also, get more than 2 estimates. Try 6 or more and check their out their background and references.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
6/11/2010
I think McElroy would be a great choice but I probably would remove the old shingles and install new underlayment.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.