poppying noise when roof heats up

Guest User
7/13/2003
I had a new black metal roof installed over my old asphalt shingles. most mornings after the sun comes up, there is one or two loud popping noises, which i presume to be the metal heating up in the sun and changing shape. Is this a problem? will it reduce the longevity, or wear of the roof?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
7/13/2003
This is relatively expected. Most metal roofs are designed with allowance for expansion and contraction though some noise can still occur. Such noise is normally pretty limited and heard from the outside only. If you have concerns about how well your metal roof is capable of handling expansion and contraction, contact the manufacturer of your roofing.
Guest User
6/12/2010
Can you do anything to stop the popping noise? I recently had a new metal roof installed on my rental house by a very good contractor, but I am getting constant complaints about how noisy the roof is. You help would be appreciated.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.