Roofer wants to change the contract after I paid 1/2 down

Rebecca Del Valle
Redoing my 1974 mobile
3/3/2010
I have a 1974 doublewide. I hired WAL Roofing out of Pinellas Park, FL. On the proposal it reads (exact spelling): "Job: Reroofover. Build 2x4 truss sytem. Build 1x4 pearlins every 2' & 1' at bottum edge of roof. Fasten metal to pearlins. Insulation board beneath. Metal flash on side to cover wood. Roof on edge is 1 foot over hang. Job Price: $5000 Terms: to get half down $2500 at beginning of job. To get completion at end of job $2500." I paid roofer 2500 down 2 days ago. Today he was bringing over wood and metal sheets and tells me he has to change the plan. He says the truss system is not needed. I asked if that changes the price and he says no, it is still 5000. He also stated that he had to purchased more 2x4's than expected.
Rebecca Del Valle
Redoing my 1974 mobile
3/3/2010
Does this sound fishy? Or is this normal? The roofer also seemed to get aggravated because I said I needed to contact my husband.
Guest User
3/3/2010
Well Looking at the Contract There are many areas that are left blank (like last name) This look like a fly by night roofer to me. The job says a reroofover? but yet hes building a truss, Makes no sense to me. Tell him to do the job as first talked about, if changes are needed to write uo a change order form ( sounds like to me he went to cheap on price and he wants to do half the work)
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.