Guest User
1/25/2010
Just trying to pick snowguards. Any differences between going with the individual "snow birds" vs a snow rail that runs the full length of the roof? I was wondering if leaves would get caught in the rail. Thanks, Mike
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
1/26/2010
The snowrail or snowfence can stop snow from sliding whereas the snowguards tend to more slow down or break up the sliding snow. Have not seen any concerns with leaves.
Guest User
1/26/2010
Hi Todd, Tell me if I understand correctly. The rail/fence will keep the snow on the roof longer but the guards will allow it to slide off but in smaller pieces. Which would be better for a shed dormer roof (runs the length of our cape house) that is subject to ice dams? My guess is that the guards would be better because it would allow the snow to come down while the rail/fence would prolong the ice dam. I know insulation/ventilation is the key to stopping ice dams but we don't really have the funds to rebuild the dormer.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
1/26/2010
Yes, in your case I would use snowguards not a snowfence. Using anything at all can exacerbate, not help, the icing problem.
Guest User
1/27/2010
Thanks Todd!
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.