james dady
9/18/2009
need to know the correct process for painting an aluminum roof. the surface has considerable wear and rust(aluminum oxide?)but is still structurally sound. will pressure washing with tsp at 3500psi do any damage to the zinc? coating. also, can u sand without damaging to get a smoother surface if pressure washing doesnt do the trick. what products do u recommend?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
9/19/2009
I am a bit confused. You say the roof is aluminum but then you mention a zinc coating. An aluminum roof would not have a zinc coating. The pressure washing is fine. But do not sand a roof with a zinc coating and I'd ty avoid sanding with aluminum as well. Go to a quality paint store and they will have a primer and topcoat system to recommend for you.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
9/19/2009
I am a bit confused. You say the roof is aluminum but then you mention a zinc coating. An aluminum roof would not have a zinc coating. The pressure washing is fine. But do not sand a roof with a zinc coating and I'd try to avoid sanding with aluminum as well. Go to a quality paint store and they will have a primer and topcoat system to recommend for you.
Aaron Scurlock
The Best in Polymer Roofing Soutions
9/24/2009
Also, an aluminum roof will not rust.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.