metal roof over ridge/soffit vent shingle roof

geremy iverson
5/12/2009
My home has an extremely flat roof (2:12) that has one layer of shingles that are always blowing off. It has cathedral ceilings with 2x6 rafters and fiber glass insulation. The roof is vented with a full length ridge vent and vent holes in the soffit. I would like to put a new metal roof on. I was thinking that I would put 2x4's down on top of the current shingles, with 2 feet between and 1 1/2 inch foam baord insulation and put the metal roofing panels on. Is this a practical thing to do? Are there any problems that may arise?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
5/13/2009
Make sure that the metal panel you choose is suitable for this type of installation. Also, I would suggest adding a vented airgap above the current roof deck as well.
Guest User
5/13/2009
Do you have any suggestion on how to put an vented air gap in?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
5/21/2009
If your insulation does not fill the entire gap, you can then vent the open area between the insulation and the roof decking or metal roofing using soffit vents as intake and ridge vent as exhaust.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.