linda domke
3/6/2009
We are considering a metal roof. Our home is a 1973 Lindal Cedar Home. The second floor has the bedrooms and the ceiling above is the roof of the home (no attic). There are original wood shakes there now which we plan to have removed. Will a metal roof make sense for us or are ther too many risks with ventilation, condensation, noise, and insulation problems. We can't afford to make the wrong choice between metal or asphalt shingles. As you can imagine our weather is extreme and we can have high winds.
linda domke
3/6/2009
I forgot to mention... It is a Gambrel style roof (looks like a barn).
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
3/6/2009
I would suggest adding insulation and a vented airspace over the existing roof
Guest User
3/6/2009
Linda, I agree with Todd. The only other thing is if the wood shingles are not on solid deck (which the probably aren't) then I would deck it. In the long run, you will be glad you did.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
3/10/2009
Thanks Wade
Guest User
3/10/2009
Thank you for the advice. We took some soffit down and discovered that there is cedar planking on the inside of the roof, then foil backed insulation, 2x6 studs, then the deck, tar paper and wood shakes. It looks like we would need to build a vented air space still... right? In our case, could we install the roof on the existing deck or will moisture be a problem?
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
3/29/2009
The vented airspace will be good. You could install over decking with underlayment
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.