David Johnson
2/4/2009
I have a client that had a metal roofing contractor install metal roofing on her house four years ago. She called us concerned about a leak. I believe her leak is coming around a skylight, but 3/4 of the meatal roofing screws have cracking rubber washers. Could this be from overtightening the screws or is it from uv rays? I have installed metal roofing and we always started the screw with a hex head driver and a drill. We wouldn't tighten all the way with the drill. Another person would come behind the drill guy with a ratchet and hand tighten them, as not to pancake the rubber washer and cause it to split. What is your opinion?
Guest User
2/4/2009
was it four years or six years? is my first question, my second is do you use a rachet or a wrachet?
Guest User
2/6/2009
Sorry, it was 4yrs ago and thanks for correcting me it was a ratchet.
Guest User
2/6/2009
sometimes I just need a little humor. No offense
Guest User
2/6/2009
Well, what is your opinion on the cracking rubber washers?
Guest User
2/6/2009
I personally havent had a problem but I also dont use the cheapest thing. We also install with impact drivers wich seems to let you be in control unlike a drill. I understand the drill has settings but just seems way to inconsistant plus the batteries last longer in the impact.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
2/7/2009
Thanks.
Guest User
6/5/2009
are nails better than screwsa
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
6/5/2009
Screws will normally have better pull out resistance. However, many metal roofs have been designed and tested to perform just fine with nails. Always refer to manufacturer instructions.
Guest User
9/1/2009
I have seen it both ways but which is better? Placing the screws in the valley or on the ridge?
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.