New Cabin has Noisy Metal Roof! Help!

Randy Gerth
1/1/2009
Last year we bought a cabin that has our bedroom with a vaulted ceiling under a metal roof. The inside is nicely finished with wood cedar planking and the metal roof is what you would find at Lowes. Can we make the roof quieter? When it rains or any ice falls from the cedar trees it is really loud. Can the metal roof be removed and something installed under it to quiet it down? The inside can't be touched because of the cedar planking. In the photo it is the portion to the right of the door. Thanks Randy
Randy Gerth
1/1/2009
I need to say we want to keep the metal roof, just find a way to modify it if possible.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
1/2/2009
You have a beautiful place there. Yes, the roof could be removed and re-installed with some foam insulation. However, frankly, that is easier said than done. Have you thought about spraying the underside of the roofing or roofdeck with urethane foam?
Guest User
1/4/2009
Unfortunately (?) :) the underside is cathedral on the inside with a nice wood finish so I wouldn't want to disrupt that. This summer I may take off a section and then see what is underneath it and see how it is insulated.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
1/7/2009
The only thing I would suggest is that, in the process, you do not negate any ventilation which now exists.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.