photovoltaic panels as part of a metal roof?

Guest User
9/5/2008
I am considering covering my existing asphalt shingle roof with metal. Did I hear somewhere that there are metal roofs that incorporate photovoltaic panels as part of the roof?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
9/10/2008
Many standing seam systems can incorporate United Solar's "thin film" pv laminate. Any metal roof could have traditional solar panels mounted to it.
Guest User
9/15/2008
Todd, I too would like to do the same but I fear that I wouldn't be able to walk around on my metal shakes for Christmas lighting etc. Is there a product that comes with thin film PV that a 190 lb man can walk on? Tom
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
9/15/2008
Thin Film PV's themselves should probably not be walked on. However, they work only on standing seam panels. The metal shingles can be walked on but care is important. One thing to remember is that metal shingles can be walked just as much and as easily when they're very old as when they are need. Not the case with other product choices.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.