Pete Olesen
5/29/2008
I am a DIY'er looking at which underlayment to use on a single story ranch. I am installing the Kasselwood product. My roof is 3/12. I have been doing research on various underlayments (Sharkskin, Interwrap UDL 30/50, and Grace's ultra product). Based on the marketing materials, these seem to be significantly better than standard roofing felt. I am doing a full tear off and want to do it for long term. If I have to pay a bit more now, I don't care. As part of this project, I am putting on solar panels. I am looking for a long term solution (50 years, I hope) In the past, I have had some ice damming on the North side. I am insulating and adding a ridge vent/soffit vents as well, hoping to mitigate some of this. I have read where some people use the ice/dam stick down membranes over the entire roof. This seems a bit like overkill, but wanted to get an expert's opinion on this. Can you recommend a good ridge vent system for Kasselwood? Thank very much.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
5/29/2008
Airvent's Filtervent aluminum product could work well. As for underlayments, the synthetics like Sharkskin are great. You could use a self-adhering underlayment over the eaves and up the valleys as extra safeguard. I would not use it on the entire roof.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.