Understanding Roofing Estimates

jeremy hambly
Roofs? Whats that?
5/27/2008
any tips for understanding roofing estimates? I just mean tips and tricks to knowing what the heck your looking at?
james b
5/27/2008
Ill see if I can find any articles since I am a newbie too.
Guest User
5/27/2008
The more detail that is written into an estimate, the better you can compare. I can write you an estimate that says: remove shingle roof and install new underlayment with a 26 gauge colored U-panel for X dollars. That's not the same as when I state what kind and brand of underlayment and what paint system is on the panel such as SMP or Kynar 500 and if I am installing that panel according to the manufacturer's specs. Then, there is also trim detail, such as am I using the manufacturer's standard gable, eave, ridge and valley trim or is it being made specifically for your house in our shop. If you are using metal shingles or slate, you will have to use the manufacturer's trim, it is the best fitting. If it is a vertical panel, then the custom made trim is better than the generic types.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
5/29/2008
Thanks Wade. Always know what warranties you will be receiving and who they are from. Always ensure that your contractor is insured and properly licensed.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.