ron hanak
1/31/2008
I plan on adding a 24 or 26 ga. standing seam metal roof over shingles;1/2 of house is a vaulted ceiling.I plan on using 1"rigid foam over shingles,than 30lb. felt, than vertical & horizontal strapping,also with eave & ridge vents,. How should rigid foam & strapping be attached , I thought coated deck screws would be fine. Am I correct in my plans THANK YOU RON
Guest User
2/1/2008
Ron, When attaching rigid insulation(ISO board) we use what we call stress plates, some call them deck plates. They are a metal plate that is about 2&3/4 inches across with a recessed hole in the center. The recess prevents the screw from protruding above the plate. The plates and screws are specifically made for this purpose and you will probably have to go to a roofing distributor to get them. [email protected] P.S. we also use the plates to install the underlayment.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
2/6/2008
Thanks Wade! Questions like these really are outswide my expertise. I appreciate your insight!
Guest User
4/22/2008
can you install metal roofing directly over plywood?
Guest User
4/22/2008
You need to put down a good quality underlayment and then, yes, you put the metal down. [email protected]
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
4/27/2008
Thanks Wade.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.