Clip system versus direct connection

Guest User
12/5/2007
I'm wondering what the pros and cons are for using a standing seam mtl roof applied directly to the substrate versus a clip system. Specifically if there are any oil canning or telegraphing concerns with one or the other. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ken Buchinger
NCI Building Systems, Inc.
12/5/2007
I assume you are asking about the difference between a concealed fastener system, such as a nail flange panel, and a true standing seam, which utilizes hold down clips. Most true standing seam systems use clips that allow for thermal expansion, which does minimize the oil canning associated with thermal movement. They typically hold the panel off the roof deck a small amount which will help hide uneven decking or felt fasteners.
Guest User
12/5/2007
That is what I had assumed. But is there any direct benefit to using a system applied directly to the substrate versus the clip system?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
12/9/2007
Clip systems are generally seen as higher end systems as they have greater allowance for expansion and contraction of the metal.
Brian Selig
Architectural Building Components Metal Roof and Wall Panels
12/10/2007
For the contractor, he doesn't have to carry clips with him on the roof. A panel that is elevated in some small way can prevent a lot of radiant heat transfer. The clips must have offsets. So, in addition to the relief from oil-canning, you should be able to reduce your energy bill a little more with a clip system. It sure is important here in Houston. Have you seen any wind uplift values on this nail-strip panel?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
12/29/2007
Thanks Brian.
Guest User
3/20/2008
We run a true snap lock 12" panel in our plants in oregon. It is a clipless system that works very well. We run a kynar paint system with a duracoat pigment which enables this panel to be energy star rated. As far as the expansion contraction issue it's really only a horizontal problem than a vertical problem. I've never heard a complaint on our system as to this problem.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
3/21/2008
Thanks.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.