William Courtney
9/22/2007
I am in the process of building a new house and plan on using standing seam metal roofing. I will be using pre-fabed 2x4" trusses, med. pitch roof. My question is do I need to install 1/2" plywood or use 2x4" lathes with insulation between, or? My carpenter recomends using the 1/2" plywood, but for the life of me I don't know why. The ceiling will be well insulated and there will be good ventilation in the attic. Thanks, Will
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
9/22/2007
Some standing seam products can be installed over lathe but all can be installed over solid decking. To help avoid condensation issues, putting down the decking may be very wise.
Guest User
9/22/2007
Thanks, so from what I gather, use 1/2" plywood and tar paper and screw the tin directly to the decking. Thanks, Will
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
9/27/2007
That is correct. Check with your roofing manufacturer to see if they want a slip sheet on top of the underlayment.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.