Frank Kline
9/20/2007
I am working on a new facility for NASA where tasked to utilize LEED criteria. I have settled on a pitched standing seam roof system. I will be utilizing new peel-n-stick Photovoltaic (PV) solar panels on the metal roofing. I want to utilize the availability of high reflectance and emissivity metal roofing. I was told that the temperature difference between where the PV panel are and where there not will cause problems with expansion and the loosening of fasteners. I am trying to design a roof structure that would help lessen this problem. Any Ideas? I was thinking of a above sheathing ventilation system or something that would utilize ventilation properties to lessen the transmitted heat. What about condensation if I use a non-vented system? Commercial building, 10000 sf.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
9/22/2007
I am not aware of any expansion issues with the situation you mention. Good attic ventilation is one option to avoid condensation issues. Talk with your metal roofing manufacturer in more detail.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.