Using Radiant Barrier Between Roof Decking and Shingles

Guest User
6/12/2007
I am wondering about installing radiant barrier between the roof decking and the shingles on my roof. Will this usage negate the benefit of using radiant barrier? What are the downside of using the radiant barrier in this manner? Note: I see companies offering to apply a radiant barriere spray to the underside of roof deckings. Is this much different from the manner that I am suggesting? Thank you.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
6/15/2007
A radiant barrier is not effective when it is sandwiched between other materials. It must face an airspace (either way) in order to be effective.
Guest User
6/16/2007
Would strapping over the radiant barrier create the necessary air space?
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
6/16/2007
yes
Guest User
5/26/2008
How much of an air space is needed? Would a radiant barrier on the underside of the roof deck above a vaulted ceiling (i.e no attic) be effective?
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
5/29/2008
Generally I would say a minimum 1" airspace.
Guest User
6/4/2008
i'm planning on roofing a new house with metal roofing. is radiant heat barrier sheathing benificial, nesesary or even compatible with metal roofing?
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
6/5/2008
It can be used and probably is helpful. However, I would also use a metal roof with reflective pigment paint and / or some sort of airgap between the back of the metal and the roof deck.
Guest User
6/5/2008
Would MYLAR make a good radiant barriar, in your opinion?
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
6/5/2008
Probably but I do not know for certain
Guest User
8/24/2008
Mylar would not act as a a radiant barrier unless it had an aluminum film facing.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
8/26/2008
Thanks.
Guest User
4/1/2010
I am considering the application of radiant barrier to the outside of existing siding (in between the primer coat and two coats of exterior paint. Will this application be effective? Thanks!
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
4/1/2010
I was under the impression that radiant barriers need an airspace to be effective as well. You would be better off with a layer of rigid foam in most cases.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.