Guest User
5/24/2007
I am pondering getting metal roofing for my home, but am very early into the process. My husband has concerns about sound when it comes to the rainy season. Is this a known problem, and if so, is there any prevention methods?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
5/25/2007
As long as you have "standard" construction with a roof deck, attic space, and attic floor insulation, I have never known this to be a problem.
Guest User
5/30/2007
Thank you for that. I have another question regarding snow piling up on the roof. This past winter, we had a really heavy snowfall over 3 days in February and when my husband got up on the roof to clean it off, the snow was waist high. My sister-in-law had the same problem, except they did not clean it off, and their support beams broke or at least bowed to the point they had to replace a few. How much of a problem is this with metal roofing, because I keep seeing where you say it in and of itself is lighter than traditional shingle roofs. How much easier does the snow melt off as well? Does the metal retain heat longer than shingles?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
5/30/2007
The smooth surface plus the reflective qualities of metal roofing tend to make it shed snow quickly. However, exact performance will be determined by the exact weather conditions.
Guest User
5/31/2007
What if there is significant snowfall over a two day period? What are the dangers of a roof caving in compared to shingles?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
5/31/2007
Metal roofing weighs from 45 pounds per square for aluminum up to usually no more than 120 for steel or copper. This compares to 275 - 425 for standard shingles. So, it is a much lower weight option. Additionally, it typically sheds snow fairly quickly in comparison to other products. I know that in my neighborhood the metal roofs are always the first to lose their snowloads.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.