John Sniffen
5/7/2007
What's the approximate weight per foot of a metal roof? -- including typical insulation... not the rafters though, of course. how does that compare to other materials? Seems like I read about it somewhere here, but I can't find any answers. John
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
5/7/2007
Metal roofing will weigh from about 45 pounds per square for aluminum up to as high as maybe 125 - 140 for some steel products. Asphalt / fiberglass shingles from from maybe 275 up to 450 depending upon the product.
Guest User
5/22/2007
Thanks Tim. Does that include whatever 'underlayers' would be standard? like insulation, etc? Tys
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
5/23/2007
No. Those items are preatty low weight though.
Guest User
5/25/2007
sorry, Todd. Where'd I get Tim? I guess I'm wondering not so much about the insulation as the under-layer... is that plywood? that's got some weight to it... does your estimate include whatever the metal needs to attach to, or just the metal? (rafters not included of course) Tys
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
5/26/2007
1/2" plywood will weigh about 45 pounds for a 4 x 8 sheet. Roughly 135 pounds per 100 square feet. Some metal roofs can be installed over battens rather than decking but you must have a well ventilated area beneath that.
Guest User
6/3/2007
Hi! Is it better from a weight consideration to remove asphalt shingles before installing metal roof?
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
6/3/2007
It depends upon the exact situation but certainly the extreme low weight of metal encourages installations over existing roofs.
Barbara Light
6/20/2007
Hi Todd: I recently posted a question re: Corrugated Metal Roof Repair.I happened to see this response. My house was built in 1910 and it has 1x6 boards instead of plywood. If your answer to my original question is to replace my roof would I need to remove this boards and replace with plywood because of the weight factor? I was told that three roofing layers is the most you can have with shingles because of weight.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.