Guest User
I'm wanting to put a ribbed metal roof over my existing fiberglass shingle roof. I would like to be able to reduce some of the heat absorbed thru the roof. Is there an insulation/radiant barrier that could be installed possibly as an underlayment? Should the insulation/radiant barrier have the metal directly against it or would it need strapping over it then the metal?
Allan Reid
Dura-Loc Roofing Systems, Inc.
Choose an Energy Star reflective paint. Choose a system that stands off the exising roof and allows for vertical air movement and last ventilate the air space created. This will provide for energy savings in both winter and summer. You could add a reflective barrier but they need minimum of 1" space in order to be effective.
Guest User
Is there an insulation material that you recommend or have seen used like this? Is there a roll type insulation that would work?
Allan Reid
Dura-Loc Roofing Systems, Inc.
Again you will get the most benefit from an energy star product coupled with a vented the air space. The use of insulation is dependant on the type of roof assmbly and needs to be a contractor decision.
Guest User
All of the contractors in my area don't have a clue and all say they'll do whatever I want.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
I would suggest getting the roofing manufacturer involved for their suggestions then.
Find a Professional

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Professionals in your area for a free consultation and estimate.