Guest User
1/2/2007
I am putting a metal roof on my newly constructed home. I am on salt water on the Gulf of Mexico. I have a choice between painted roofing material and acrylic coated galvalume. The builder is recommending the acrylic coated, but I want to make sure I do the best thing for the reduction of rust due to the salt air. This is a 24 gauge metal roofing product, and I would go with a light colored paint if I went with a painted roof. Thanks for your help.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
1/5/2007
The acrylic coating is less durable than a Kynar / Hylar painted finsih.
Guest User
3/29/2007
The only coating for a salt water environment that has a warranty would be a kynar/hylar painted metal roof. We use BASF kynar paints on our roofs and they have a 35 year warranty in a salt water environment. Ask your contractor or distributor about the warranty on the metal roofing product you are buying.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
3/31/2007
Thanks Gerald.
Guest User
3/31/2007
I currently have a galvanized roof that is 7 years old and is showing rust where the metal seams were bent over. Can this roof be painted? We really like the galvanized appearance and would liketo keep it that way but we believe we need to do something soon to stop the rust and we don't wanted to have a spoted roof. Fripp Island SC
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
3/31/2007
Sure, go to a quality paint store and purchase the system they suggest. I would use a primer first, after cleaning the roof well.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.