Electrolytic Corrosion at Copper-steel-interface at Roof

Guest User
2/22/2006
I am in charge of a project to restore a 75-year old awning at a Federal Building in Washington, DC. The awning has a copper sheet roof, which runs across 2"x1/4" galvanized steel flats placed on edge, (i.e. with the 1/4" surface at top and bottom) at a slope, average 14" apart, in contact with the copper sheeting which wraps over on either side, so that between these flats, the copper sheeting is at about the same level as the bottom of the steel flats. It is proposed to replace the corroded steel frame and flats with new galvanized steel material. The copper is found to be in good condition. Could you please suggest a suitable and lasting product to be used as an interface membrane between the galvanized steel and copper, to be wrapped or coated over the galvanized steel, so as to prevent electrolytic corrosion? Thank you.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
2/22/2006
I would suggest contacting the Copper Development Association for their input but right off hand I would suggest a quality rubber membrane of some sort. You could also conside stainless steel rather than galvanized anmd that might help.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.