Guest User
10/3/2005
I was wondering if anyone knew when standing seam was invented. Where it was first used? When it was first used? Any info on the history of standing seam would be helpful.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
10/6/2005
There are references to metal roofs in Biblical times ... they may have had some sort of flat seam though. Certainly, there are many raised seam roofs here in the US dating to the 1800s. Modern standing seams were developed more in the 1960s.
Guest User
7/29/2006
What widths of standing seam roofing were available in the late 1800's? Could you get such roofing at 12 inches wide?
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
7/30/2006
That's an interesting question. Why do you ask? I am not sure I know the answer but I believe it is "yes" ... at that time, it was hand-formed out of the available metal so the limitation would have been how wide metal could be rolled.
Guest User
2/25/2008
Follansbee steel has been making metal roofs for a long time and supplied me with a large volume of historical material.They also supply primer and paint and most important,the corrct method of refinishing and maintaining a metal roof.
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
3/1/2008
Thanks Vince.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.