ROBERT ZACCAREO
7/8/2005
I just had a standing seem roof instaled. Water comes off the roof and trickles under onto the fascia. (eves) What is a drip edge? And how much over hang from the fascia should there be before this type of roof is instaled? Water poors of the roof onto the side of the house hitting all the windowsills and a fair amount of siding.How scared should I be ? HELP!
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
7/8/2005
Hi Robert. A drip edge is a piece of flashing (folded matching metal) at the bottom of the roof hanging down over the fascis by an inch or two (sometimes more) typically with a little kick-out at the bottom to help direct water away from the house. On homes without gutters, though, regardless of the roofing material, water can drain down the fascia and sides of the home. This water can cause streaking or even damage over time. If you wish, email me a picture of the bottom edge of the roof and I will try to provide more input. [email protected]
Guest User
9/28/2005
My wife sells metal roofs. A customer called and requested started metal from her father, who doesn't have any idea about metal roofing. What is starter metal
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
9/28/2005
I would assume they are referring to an eave drip edge but they could also be referring to a gable edge trim of some sort.
Guest User
9/29/2005
A question about the drip edge. If it sits under the end of the metal roof and directs water to the gutter - then how do you ventilate the ends (facia end) of the metal roof? If you intend to ventilate under the roof and you are using foam ventilating closure strips - wouldn't the drip edge block air from going through the closure strip and then under the roof? Aivars Berzins
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
9/30/2005
Normally, through the construction, at the eave end, the ventilation is directed downward so that it opens into the soffit not the fascia.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.