Paul Foley
6/1/2005
Help. Now that my steel roof is installed, Southern Ca Edison says that my service connection must be 8 ft removed from my metal roof. My present connection is on the roof with a 18 inch seperation. Does anyone have any experience with this issue?
Allan Reid
Dura-Loc Roofing Systems, Inc.
6/2/2005
This is the first I have heard of this requirement anywhere although 18" is pretty close to any roof. I would ask for more details as it may only be one interpretation of a rule. Possibly they would we happy with grounding the metal roof to the metal stack with a strap. Good luck and let us know hoe you make out.
Paul Foley
6/2/2005
Well I've done my homework now and it's definitely a requirement that's out there. I found it in some city codes on the internet and it's in the SCE requirements manual. I had SCE come out because my service line in was already almost touching the roof. I thought they would just raise the line but when they saw I was putting on a metal roof, they called me on it. Most homeowners probably wouldn't have a neet to have their electric utility out when they are putting a roof on. This is going to cost my a bundle on top of the roof cost.
Allan Reid
Dura-Loc Roofing Systems, Inc.
6/3/2005
I know the Canadian code has a minimum stack height above the roof, regardless of roofing material and I would suspect the same is true here so it may not be just metal and it would need moving regarless, however thanks for the heads up and I will be checking out the codes to get the proper understanding of the conditions.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.