Guest User
2/24/2005
Is 28 gauge normal for a steel panel roof? Which finish lasts longer, painted or silver galvalume? The interior of my house has a cathedral, tongue and groove ceiling. What precautions, consideration or advice do you have regarding a steel panel roof over this? Are there any special considerations when installing a "cricket" or "saddle" between a steel roof and a wood paneled chimney? Are aluminum gutters OK with a steel roof and should gutter revision/repair happen before or after a new steel roof is installed?
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
2/26/2005
28 gauge is not unusual though there are thicker metal roofs as well. I would inquire whether the product meets the base metal and coating requirements of the Metal Construction Association certified roofing program. Generally, a painted product will last longer and have less maintenance than an unpainted one. Steel roofing going into aluminum gutters will likely not cause a problem. It sounds like you have no ventilation in your roof assembly. Building Codes call for a minimum 1" airspace beneath the roof deck. I would suggest working with a well experienced metal roofing contractor and seeing if some ventilation can't be accomplished with your new roof. There are several ways in which it could be done. I would suggest removing the old gutters, installing the roof, and installing the new gutters.
Guest User
3/13/2005
what lengths does metal tin come in?
Allan Reid
Dura-Loc Roofing Systems, Inc.
3/14/2005
They can generally be ordered to exact lengths although there is a minimum and a maximun handling length. This leaves us to what you mean by "metal tin". Th majority of metal roofing today is made from Steel and Aluminum. The steel has a rust resistant metalic coating on it such as Zinc known as galvanized or a combination of zinc and aluminum known as Galvalume. For exposed roofing you want to use Galvalume with a coating weight of AZ 55.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.