Dale Rademacher
fixit
3/21/2016
Hello, I am having a metal roof installed on my double wide, The original shingles are 16 years old and in good shape. The contractor says he puts a radiant barrier down before the 1x4 pulins. In my research It looks like most people also put 3/4 inch fanfold insulation between the purlins, Are both needed? Does the fanfold help keep heat from roof deck? I like the idea of the fanfold if it helps out with quieting and or heat dispersion. I have heard of something called bubble wrap, Is this another kind of barrier? Thanks
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
3/22/2016
Both are not needed, but insulation would be preferred in your climate. What does your contract say?
Dale Rademacher
fixit
3/22/2016
He prefers to use an underlay. I am thinking about talking him into the fanfold instead, just wanted to check if you thought I needed both. Thanks for the response.
Eric Novotny
3/22/2016
Depending on the insulation levels in the roof, you would be well served to add additional insulation above and beyond the level of fan-fold. Something like 1" poly iso with a foil facing would be better.
Dale Rademacher
fixit
3/22/2016
would this be placed between the purlins?
Eric Novotny
3/22/2016
Ideally it would be full sheets and the purlins would be fastened over the top of it.
Dale Rademacher
fixit
3/22/2016
Thanks
Dale Rademacher
fixit
3/22/2016
One last question, Is it a complete myth that a metal roof on a double wide will increase summer heat?
Eric Novotny
3/23/2016
Yes. Color and orientation have everything to do with heat absorption.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.