Derek Wendelken
9/19/2013
Hello...I've read a post about 26 vs. 29 gauge metal; I have a question about 26 vs. 24... We are considering a standing seam metal roof to replace a shingle one. One contractor who uses a top of the line 24 gauge product told us that regardless of who did the job, make sure they used 24 gauge metal and hi-temp underlayment. A second contractor, who says he uses both 24 and 26 gauge, told us that he would use 26 g. on our house because the roof is very "cut up"...lots of hips, gables, and dead end runs into the exterior walls of a second story bedroom/bath that only covers about 1/2 the area of the home. He said that 26 gauge would allow him to make better seams in certain areas as well as form it into valleys. He also said he would reinforce the seams with "L" pieces in the areas where snow would fall from the upper to the lower sections of the roof. This contractor also uses product that is less expensive than that used by the first contractor (I won't mention names), but the two products carry the same warranty, inc. 35 years on the paint finish. Both contractors have been in business a long time, but the second contractor's bid is significantly less than that of the first. We would go with him but we are concerned that 26 gauge might not be as durable as 24. Should we be concerned? Thank you very much!
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
9/19/2013
Certainly 24 gauge does have greater strength and ultimately greater life. However, thousands of 26 gauge and even lighter roofs are out there performing well. I would check on things like the paint finish and warranty. Know what warranties you are getting and from whom. Go see work done by both companies and even talk to past customers.
Dick Bus
9/19/2013
I strongly support Todd's comment about understanding the warranties. One way to insure a quality product is to make sure that you are receiving a panel that is manufactured by a Metal Roofing Alliance member manufacturer. All of us have agreed to produce to a minimum quality. It is a very good idea to go and physically see recent installations as well as projects from five or ten years ago. Pay particular attention to the details.
Info @windowsonwashington.net
An informed customer is our best customer.
9/19/2013
+1 No replacement for seeing work samples.
Guest User
10/19/2016
Doing research on choosing a metal roof. I live in west central Ohio. We can get strong winds. I live in a ranch style home. I am interested in the shingle style. I want to know the best gauge to go with. Thanks, PK
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
10/19/2016
Patrick, you actually will not find a great deal of variation in metal thicknesses on metal shingles. A lot of the strength in these products is achieved through their stamped formations. Most steel shingles are in the range of .012" - .017" thick and most aluminum products are fro, .017" - .024" thick. They all must pass the same performance tests to meet building code requirements. I might tend to focus more on things like coating quality, manufacturer stability, and installation quality. I hope this helps. Sounds like we must live pretty close to one another. I live in Sidney, OH. Feel free to email me at [email protected]

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.