sheathing or perlins?

guest guest
8/5/2013
I am not familiar with metal roofing in a residential application. I have seen pole barn/storage buildings use perlins as opposed to full sheathing. Is this acceptable for a residential application? I am well versed in insulation and ventilation issues for attic spaces and have the ability to ensure great ventilation for moisture issues that may occur.
Todd Miller
Isaiah Industries, Inc.
8/5/2013
The risk of installations over purlins on a home causing condensation issues is very high. Therefore, I recommend decking and underlayment beneath the beautiful new metal roof.
Dick Bus
8/5/2013
no question about it. You need to install with solid sheathing. The amount of moisture that is in the air from normal living activities such as cooking, laundry, bathing, etc. will cause condensation to occur. Since you are located in Vermont, I would recommend that a peel and stick be installed along the eave line up to 4 feet above the wall line and four feet on each side of the valley. Then a good quality vapor barrier for the remainder of the roof. Thanks for using a metal roof and doing research before you begin the installation. Feel free to contact us with any other question you may have. Look for a manufacturer that belongs to The Metal Roofing Alliance as all of us have agreed to only supply top quality products.
Eric Novotny
An informed customer is the Best Customer!
8/6/2013
100%. Missed this post from the other post but Mr. Bus and Todd both nailed the answer.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.