installation over poor condition asphalt

Jim Reynolds
6/6/2012
Putting galvanized exposed fasteners panels over asphalt 3-tab shingles. On 2-story barn with top deck at 12/3 pitch and side decking at 12/16 or 12/18. Rafters are on 2 ft centers (most of them!) And decking on top area sags between rafters. This part of roof can't be seen by anyone but the birds. Least cost option - do I really have to tear off the old shingles and decking? Can I just install horizontal purlins and fasten the metal directly to them? Heat transfer into barn is of no concern. Also with the shallow pitch on top, what do I need to do special. Btw I intend to use panels with 2 1/2 inch ridges. Thanks
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
6/6/2012
As long as the decking is solid and there is no existing weight issue you should be okay leaving the old shingles. As far as pitch -- never use any product at a lower pitch than what is specified by its manufacturer.
Jim Reynolds
6/6/2012
Great news! Thanks.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.