Guest User
4/15/2012
We are looking into a new roof for our home. Currently we have a wood shingle roof and are almost certain that we will go with a Standing seam metal roof. My home is a traditional cottage with a very steep pitched roof. I would love to get a Zinc roof but it is out of our budget. What other products would you recommend? I have looked into Galvalume (it seems too light for my home), plain galvanized, paint grip (is there a way to seal it so I can keep the natural color), and of course Kynar painted. How long will a plain galvanized roof last? It seems that most roofing companies I have talked with a VERY against a plain galvanized roof because of rust but we have a steep pitch and are not in a coastal area. Should I worry about rust as well? Thank you.
Dick Bus
4/16/2012
Allow me to work from the best down as far as performance is concerned. Zinc will out last any of the material you listed, you may want to take a look at Umicore's Adeka panel. It is a standing seam in a box. It is not custom roll formed like most vertical panels. It provides the transverse seams like the standing seam roofs of years ago. Kynar 500 coated Galvalume with Bonderite 1310 pretreatment will also perform very well for many years and provide a consistent color. Bend radius of the trim and panels have to be generous to prevent crazing of the Galvalume coating. Kynar 500 coated Galvanized with Bonderite 1421 pretreatment is next, the pretreatment is critical from a long term corrosion stand point. Galvalume Plus is Galvalume with a acrylic coating that has been used successfully in many low slope applications. It is not a consistent color. Paint Grip is Galvanized with a pretreatment to prep the metal for painting. By itself it is ok to use, but it is not a consistent color. All Galvanized products need to be G-90 or G-100 to provide the maximum corrsion protection for a roofing application. I hope I have not confused you further about metal. To have a successful installation of metal roofing make sure you check out the contractor. Ask for references of other similar installations. Contact those homeowners, look close at the details. How do the flashings look, etc. If you have any further questions, do not hesitat to contact us.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.