Why should screws be in the flats?

Bernie Draht
8/17/2011
I understand that nails used to nailed through the ridges, but now screws are to be placed in the flats. The flats are a water channel, which would make we think the ridges would be better for fasteners. Why do manufacturers recommend screws on the flats? How long till the washers on the screws deteriorate and begin to leak? Thanks
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
8/17/2011
Today's screws not only have the rubber grommets but also protective metal caps. They are designed to last easily 20+ years. My understanding is that the recommendation by most manufacturers on most profiles is to fasten through the high points on the ribs. However you would want to check with individual manufacturers.
Guest User
8/17/2011
Thank you for your reply. That would seem to be the best fastening location to me. The practice here, and the local manufacturer insists that the fastening should be on the flats. The installer I have always fastens on the high points on the ridges.
Guest User
8/30/2011
How much space should there be on screws on metal roofs up and down roof
Todd Miller
Classic Products, Inc.
8/30/2011
The spacing of fasteners will be specified by the roofing manufacturer based upon panel profile, metal thickness, and perhaps where you live.

If you would like to reply to this thread, please log in. If you do not have an Ask the Experts forum user account, create one here.

Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.