John Himer
5/18/2010
We recently purchased a home on a 300 ft. deep lot that also has a tin roof shed in the very back, and a 20X30 "cottage" about mid-way back on the lot that was used for a "pool house". We filled in the pool, added a 20 X32 roof with 10' hight clearance for our Van to the rear of the cottage, and replaced a 10 X 32 front porch roof with a 2:12 pitch. The roofer, after completely tearing the old front porch roof off and replacing it with new rafters and 4X8 decking then told us the slope on the porch roof was insufficient for a v-crimp tin roof, and instead put down what he called a "Torch down" rubber roof on the porch. The cottage itself is roofed with architec shingles, but the rear roof and the porch are "Torch Down" rubber. Problem: The "Torch Down" rubber roof on the front porch just doesn't look good. It is low enough that you can see the Torch Down rubber if you stand off from it. We wanted a Tin Roof to make it look old timey. Question: Could I put sheets of v-crimp metal over the rubber "Torch Down" roof to achieve the desired appearance, and put metal screws through the v-crimp metal sheets, the rubber roof material, and into the wood decking without causing a leak or damaging the new rubber roof? The roof is fine, it's just that the rubber doesn't look good. We even painted it with "Cool Seal" hoping the silver color would make it look right but it looks even worse now. The roof is only about 4 or 5 months old. Thanks for your help, John P.S. Don't know how to send a picture here.
Nate Libbey
5/18/2010
John, If the roof spoken about has a 2:12 pitch, you should be able to put the V-Crimp panels over the "Torch Down" roof. You would want sealant between all panel laps, and inside and outside closures applied at the eave and upper end of the panels. If however the area has much of a slope less than that, any imperfections in the roof could cause dips where water could pool up, creating possible problem ares. This is all based only on my experience, and should not be the final word on the project. Many manufacturers will void the warranty on this section of roof if it is installed on a roof with less than a 3:12 slope.
Guest User
5/19/2010
Nate, Thanks so much. Please tell me what the "inside and outside closures" are that you referred to. I don't know what that is?? Thanks, John P.S. Actually, the roof has slightly more than 2:12 pitch.... it measures about 2.25:12 pitch, --- and yes, there is imperfection...I do see a slight rise in two places where the porch roof meets the building roof! The roofer said it was because the framing on the existing building was high in those two places ---- however, the existing roof framing looks fine to me and I think the problem was in the new framing! It isn't very much, maybe 1/4" in those two places.
Nate Libbey
5/19/2010
See: http://www.bestbuymetals.com/pdf/5v-crimp-panel-installation-guide.pdf Inside closures are shown at the eave on page 8. They fill in the ribs to prevent rain from going up them. Outside closures are shown at the endwall or transition on page 10. They go on top of the panel under the metal flashing, and fill in between the panel ribs.
Nate Libbey
5/19/2010
Other parts of the guide may be useful to you as well.
Guest User
5/19/2010
Nate, Thank you so much. John
Nate Libbey
5/20/2010
Glad to be of help!
Guest User
7/22/2011
Have mobile home & want to add 4 to 6 inch raised metal roof. Have been told v-crimp is best way to go. Why is this better than standard corrugated and what would be the recommended grade. Older home we bought in the hill country & afraid to put to much weight on it. Roof is curved, so does v-crimp allow much flexibility to secure on this type project ? Please advise, Thanx,Gary.
Find a Contractor

Get Started Today

Take the first step to increasing the value of your home with a great looking, durable, fire resistant and energy efficient metal roof. Browse our list of qualified MRA Member Roofing Contractors in your area for a free consultation and estimate.